Puegnago del Garda
Puegnago del Garda, with its suburbs, stands on the morenic hills of the West side of lake Garda. Its name has unsure origins. A possible root of the name could come from a Celtic settlement, as pointed to by the suffix “ago”, or from the Roman name “Pruvinianum”. Puegnago’s economy is mainly based on agriculture. Many farms were able to use the natural potential of this land and started producing wine and oil.
Heights: 237 m on sea level
Surface: 10,8 km2
The history of Puegnago is linked to the history of Salò, since it was one of its suburbs till 1427. After then the Republic of Venice imposed its domination on the centres of Valtenesi and the coast villages. During this period, Puegnago had to cope with pestilence, robberies and plunders by soldiers from Spain and France.
What to see
Parish Church of San Michele Arcangelo (1611). The altarpiece shows a painting of C. Antonio Vicentini portraying the patron.
Church of San Giuseppe. It faces the small square of Mura and contains a wooden statue of the Virgin of Carmine
Church of San Gaetano
Church of San Giovanni. It dates back to 1530
Church of Madonna della Neve. It dates back to 1824 and contains a painting painted by Andrea Celesti.
What remains today is just a part of the old fortress probably built by the natives between the IX and the X century as a defense against the Barbarian invasions.
The simple walls were built using stones of several dimensions, irregularly placed along the esagonal perimeter. The keep was eventually transformed into a bell tower in 1827.
Tebaldini Palace, The building would belong to the Tebaldini family and overlooks the main square of the village in the suburb “Castello”.
It’s very interesting from and architectural and landscape viewpoint; it dates back to mid XIX century and it presently belongs to the town council of Puegnago, which is investing on a conservative renewal to bring its original splendor back.
Native house of Beato Giuseppe Baldo
The house where Father Giuseppe Baldo was born in 1843 is set in the suburb “Palude”.
In 1983 the house was bought by the Congregazione delle Piccole Figlie di San Giuseppe. They carried on the work started by Father Baldo and they built a center to host old and sick people.
Lakes of Sovenigo
On the hills overlooking Puegnago, near the border with Gavardo, pure springs branch off among the canebrakes forming characteristic lakes. In July and August the water’s surface is covered by thousand of lotus flowers, creating charming atmospheres.
Fair of Puegnago
It’s an occasion the local producers can’t miss to make the Valtenesi products known. The specialties of the territory will be the real protagonists of September: Groppello Wine and the virgin olive oil Casaliva. These Garda varieties perfectly match with the typical dish of the area: spit with polenta.
Celebration of the Virgin of the Snow
The Virgin is honoured during the first week of August with a solemn procession.
Celebration of the Virgin of the Walls
It’s a solemn procession starting from the parish church and the church of St Joseph in the suburb “Mura”. It’s celebrated at mid-August.
Household names connected to Puegnago del Garda
Don Giuseppe Baldo (1843/1915). He was beatified on the 31st of October 1989. He was the founder of the religious order “Piccole Figlie di S. Giuseppe”.
Giuseppe Brunati (1794-1855), presbyter, intellectual, historian, archaeologist and author of numerous works.
Puegnago’s economy is mainly based on agriculture: many firms of the area produce oil and wine, products whose success has been increasing a lot lately.
Groppello is a characteristic vineyard of Valtenesi. The wine produced here is ruby-red and smells extremely intense. It tastes a little acid. It’s not a robust wine, so it must be drunk when it’s new.
Almost extinguished, the Groppello grapes have come to the fore especially thanks to events dedicated to the discovery of this old vineyard near lake Garda.
Town Council Puegnago del Garda
Piazza Beato Don Giuseppe Baldo, 1
25080 Puegnago del Garda (Bs)