Soiano del Lago
It raises on the morenic hills on the West side of lake Garda. It’s one of the seven town councils forming the Valtenesi Valley. The name “Soiano” derives from the Latin “Solis Ianua” (= Door of the Sun).
Height: 555 m above sea level
Surface: 48 km2
The presence of man in Soiano since remote ages is pointed to by pile-work finds dating back to the Bronze Age. The Romans also dwelled here, since fragments of funeral inscriptions and votes were found. Like the villages nearby, also Soiano was sacked and robbed by the Hungarians in 899, and the defensive rock was built just in that period.
The coast was ruled by the Republic of Venice from 1444 to the invasion of the Napoleonic Army.
In 1810 Soiano and Puegnago were annexed to Polpenazze, but Soiano got its independence back in 1825. During the Fascism it was annexed again to Padenghe together with Moniga. Its administrative independence was restored after the falling of the regime and the beginning of the Republic.
What to see
Parish Church of San Michele. It dates back to the XVI century and it contains an organ designed by Antonio Franchino of Montichiari, originally located over the main entrance while today it’s in the right side of the building. On the apse there is a picture painted by Bertanza.
Church of S. Carlo, in a Lombard style. It was built where, according to the tradition, S. Carlo Borromeo stopped to talk to the population. Near the two sides of the altar there are two statues of the XVI century; they come from the Monastery of San Rocco. Over the altar it is possible to see a picture painted by Andrea Bertanza.
Chappel of Santa Elisabetta al Cascinale Monastero, It’s a small place of worship inside the property Cascinale Monastero. It contains ’300 frescoes which suggest the building has been built by a monastic community.
The Castle of Soiano was built in the X century as a defense against the Hungarian invasions. It was used for the Vicinia’s meetings, where all the householders met in order to elect the consuls and to administrate justice.
In 1985 the Omodeo Salè family donated the castle to the town council. After an accurate restoration, the building was given back to the population as a nice place for recreational and social activities.
The walls have remained unchanged; the square tower was transformed into a bell tower in the XVII century.
Celebration of San Rocco, at mid-august.
On the last week of September S. Michele Arcangelo, patron of the village, is celebrated.
The golf course on the morenic hills is the pride of Soiano, since it’s 110 hectar wide. Garda Gold, the course’s name, is considered one of the best equipped gold courses of the last 20 years. It’s characterized by a 27 hole marked course and beautiful spots.
The green fairways are practicable in winter, too, thanks to the mild weather.
Household names connected to Soiano del Lago
Diamante Medaglia Faini
The great poetess was born in Mura Savallo on the 28th of August 1724 and she was taught by her uncle, Father Antonio Medaglia, parish priest of Savallo. She married Pietro Faini, who belonged to a rich family of Soiano, and she kept on studying Philosophy and Maths.
Her poems show how fine and sharp minded she was. The literary activity awarded her important honours and the entry into several academies, such as Unanimi of Salò, Agiati of Rovereto and Orditi of Padova.
The coat of arms of Soiano portraits a fermenting vat for winepressing as a symbol of the strong wine tradition of the area.
The production of fine wine, virgin olive oils and cereals is a good hint to organize tasting food and drink itineraries calling at holiday farms, wineries and trattorias.
Tourist information office Pro Loco Soiano
via Ciucani, 2
25080 Soaino del Lago (Bs)